The introduction of new technologies such as BIM (Building Information Modelling), IoT (Internet of Things), Smart Buildings and AI (Artificial Intelligence) are widely discussed within the FM press, but how many of these are actually being embraced by the FM sector? Service Works Global’s 2018 FM software survey run in conjunction with FMJ, indicated that many of these technology trends are considered to be ‘hype’ and are still not on the list of priorities for many FMs.
However, one emerging trend that has a particularly high profile is BIM, which takes raw data and turns it into open, shareable asset information and in doing so, provides valuable intelligence about how a building will perform. And combined with 3D models of a building, provides facility managers with essential information which can generate cost savings, improve asset performance and increase efficiency.
SWG in partnership with leading FM event, Facilities Show, has called upon industry experts to decipher what the consensus is regarding BIM. By engaging in an open discussion in the form of an e-book, titled The Future is BIM, it provides FMs with a chance to understand how experts view BIM, the opportunity it provides and the benefits that it can offer to the FM function and in turn the wider organisation.
Key discussion points include:
- Whether FMs should be investing in BIM now or wait to see how the landscape evolves?
- What the barriers are to implementing BIM
- Understanding the relevance of BIM for existing buildings and not just new builds
- How BIM compares to other advancing technologies and how it can work with existing systems
- The benefits that BIM can provide in practise
Our expert panel of FM and BIM professionals comprises:
- Penny Brinsley Account Director – Service Works Global (SWG)
- Simon Ashworth Institute of Facility Management, Zurich University of Applied Sciences (ZHAW) Teaching Facility Management MSc and BSc degree programmes
- Simon Francis Principal Lead, Estates and Masterplanning at a large London based charity
- Anders Moberg Director, Business Unit Facility Management – Service Works Global Nordic (SWG)
Gary Watkins, CEO of Service Works Global, considers the e-book to be a vital source of information providing an invaluable perspective on BIM for anyone working in FM and associated sectors.
“The e-book has unveiled important consolidated insight into BIM and the way it is viewed within both the public and private sector. The panel provides a well-balanced stance on BIM and its role within FM and although there are some difference of opinion it’s interesting to see that the overall consensus is that BIM is here to stay and is very much a technology that FMs need to embrace to stay ahead of the game.”
Download the e-book The Future is BIM by clicking here.
UBM is a global events company, organising over 300 market-leading B2B events every year across 20 countries. They are the events organiser behind the hugely successful Facilities Show, the largest dedicated FM event in the world, with over 12,000 visitors annually hosted at ExCeL London. This years’ show is 18th-20th June and is focused on Facilities Management, Workplace Wellbeing and Smart Building excellence. For your complimentary ticket, please click here: https://www.facilitiesshow.com